A gentle reminder that it will soon be only a month until the New Zealand National Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Convention. Not only is this the event where members get to vote on the SJV awards, but it is also a fully fledged fan run event with a wide range of events and activities.
This year, the national convention is called Reconnaissance which will be held over the Easter long weekend April 3rd – 6th at the Sudima hotel in Rotorua.
Because the event is over a long weekend at the start of the school holidays, there will be pressure on for accommodation. However at the time of writing, there were still a good number of places available at the Hotel by using the booking form on the web site. We do suggest that you don’t leave it until the last minute to book.
The detailed Program of events can be found here, but a few of the highlights are given below:
- Stroll / Pub crawl Thursday from sundown
- Friday One day Writer’s workshop – seats available $60 separate to convention attendance cost
- CosPlay event / Masquerade as part of the opening ceremony Friday evening.
- Informal group going to Hobbiton on Friday morning.
- Saturday CosPlay stream
- Guest of Honour events with Gail Carriger and Pip Ballantine & Tee Morris
- Steampunk themed events
- Sunday YA – Young Adult stream
- Written – Print Media Stream Fri, Sat and Sunday inclusive.
- Three streams Friday, Four and a bit streams Saturday and Sunday
- Floating market Sunday 9am – Noon.
- An event at Atlantis Books 4pm to 6pm Saturday
- A burlesque event off site Saturday evening and a separate Star Gazing car pool to the outskirts of town.
- SJV’s Sunday evening after banquet/cocktails
- SFFANZ / NZin2020 (worldcon bid) business sessions Monday
- Dead Dog party at the Te Runanga Tea rooms from about 1pm Monday.