in association with Au Contraire 3, New Zealand’s 37th National Science Fiction and Fantasy Convention
Arthur C. Clarke-nominated author of the world-building classic The Disestablishment of Paradise.
Pre-judging by award-winning editing team, Dan Rabarts and Lee Murray.
NZ$100, story publication, and a selection of print books
to be awarded at Au Contraire 3
- Entry is free, but entrants should be current members of SFFANZ, or registered to attend the 2016 national conference Au Contraire 3. A link to SFFANZ can be found here. A link to the Au Contraire 3 membership page can be found here.
- Submitted stories can address any theme providing it is speculative (science fiction, fantasy, horror or any sub-genre is acceptable), and should have a word count of 3000 words or less.
- Original stories only, no reprints or simultaneous submissions, please.
- Writers are welcome to submit more than one story.
- Standard formatting: Ariel or Times New Roman, 12pt, 1.5 spaced, indenting for paragraphs, with the story title and numbering included as page header. Submissions are blind, so your name should only appear in your cover email and NOT on the manuscript.
- Stories for an adult audience are fine, but those with gratuitous sex, gore and violence are unlikely to be shortlisted.
- Please send your stories as a .doc or .rtf attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org with Submission: Your Story Title in the subject line. (Remember to ensure that your name or email address DO NOT appear on the manuscript).
- Competition closes at midnight 31 March 2016. Entries received after this date will not be read. All participants will be notified of the results by late April, 2016.
**Please note that entry to the award automatically assumes that the winning entrant will allow first print publication of their story by Au Contraire 3 in its Convention Programme to be distributed to convention members (all other rights to be retained by the author).