The New Zealand National SF & F Convention for 2017 will be LexiCon. The vote to award the national convention to LexiCon was taken at the 2015 National Convention.
Note that the 2016 National SF & F Convention is Au Contraire 2016 which will be held at Queens Birthday weekend 3-5 June, 2016, at the CQ Hotel in Cuba Street, Wellington.
You may receive updates for both these conventions by registering at their web sites. If you have a registration from a previous Au Contraire convention, you may use that to register for updates.
The results of the Sir Julius Vogel Awards for 2015 are available here.
The email/postal voting form for the Sir Julius Vogel Awards of 2015 is now available here.
Please note that you must be a member of SFFANZ or a member of Reconnaissance to vote for the Sir Julius Vogel awards. Ballot counting takes place at Reconnaissance, so you can vote there, or you can email or post your votes directly to SFFANZ. If you email or post your votes, they must reach us by 1st April 2015. In all other cases, they must reach us by the close of voting at Reconnaissance at 12 noon, Sunday 5th April 2015
A gentle reminder that it will soon be only a month until the New Zealand National Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Convention. Not only is this the event where members get to vote on the SJV awards, but it is also a fully fledged fan run event with a wide range of events and activities.
This year, the national convention is called Reconnaissance which will be held over the Easter long weekend April 3rd – 6th at the Sudima hotel in Rotorua.
Because the event is over a long weekend at the start of the school holidays, there will be pressure on for accommodation. However at the time of writing, there were still a good number of places available at the Hotel by using the booking form on the web site. We do suggest that you don’t leave it until the last minute to book.
The detailed Program of events can be found here, but a few of the highlights are given below:
- Stroll / Pub crawl Thursday from sundown
- Friday One day Writer’s workshop – seats available $60 separate to convention attendance cost
- CosPlay event / Masquerade as part of the opening ceremony Friday evening.
- Informal group going to Hobbiton on Friday morning.
- Saturday CosPlay stream
- Guest of Honour events with Gail Carriger and Pip Ballantine & Tee Morris
- Steampunk themed events
- Sunday YA – Young Adult stream
- Written – Print Media Stream Fri, Sat and Sunday inclusive.
- Three streams Friday, Four and a bit streams Saturday and Sunday
- Floating market Sunday 9am – Noon.
- An event at Atlantis Books 4pm to 6pm Saturday
- A burlesque event off site Saturday evening and a separate Star Gazing car pool to the outskirts of town.
- SJV’s Sunday evening after banquet/cocktails
- SFFANZ / NZin2020 (worldcon bid) business sessions Monday
- Dead Dog party at the Te Runanga Tea rooms from about 1pm Monday.
The nomination period for the Sir Julius Vogel Awards for 2015 has now closed. A list of nominated works will be published shortly.
The results of the Sir Julius Vogel Awards for 2014 can be found here.
A reminder that nominations for the 2014 Sir Julius Vogel awards are currently being accepted. The nomination period will close at 8.00pm on 15th February 2014. The awards recognise excellence in science fiction, fantasy, or horror works created by New Zealanders and New Zealand residents, and first published or released in the 2013 calendar year.
Anyone can make a nomination and it is free! To make a nomination please email firstname.lastname@example.org. See the website for the categories and get busy reading NZ authors and watching NZ movies. We have a list of New Zealand works that may be eligible for nomination here.
The rules and criteria for the Sir Julius Vogel Award can be found here.
Nomination FAQs can be found here.
If you would like to advise us of a work we have not listed, please contact email@example.com.